Sunday, May 30, 2010

Training is Winding Down

Hello Hello,
All is still well in Ukraine. 
Training is starting to wind down.  We have finished the majority of our project and have come a long way with the Russian language but  now in only 2 weeks training will be over.  Exciting and sad at the same time.  Our cluster has grown very close over the last couple months.  After we officially swear in as Peace Corps Volunteers - we will find out where we will be living, who we will be working with, and later that same day we will take the long trip (could be a 30 hour train ride) to our permanent sites.  I just hope we live relatively close to each other once we get to site. Site will consist of me and my counterpart.  No fellow volunteers. No English speakers.  Zero familiarity.  Simply "Go Time".  There is also a chance that housing will not be available at our respective sites which would mean that we would have to live with a host family in our new village/town/city for possibly the entire 2 years (gulp...).   I am sure I will do fine but I realize it will be rough for the first couple months while I get to know people and become familiar with the community.  I can now speak my mind for the most part but only if the person I am talking to has patience and is willing to listen to me slaughter their beautiful language.  lol.    But you don't get better if you don't try and I will have plenty of opportunities to try.  It is exhausting though - and after long periods of speaking Russian, my mind craves English conversations.  Well,  now it is time to work on some Russian homework, finish some paperwork, and get some much needed sleep.  I will try to have an more informative post next week.  : - )
Conor's Noteworthy noteables:
1.  My friend decided to leave.  Major bummer.  He will be missed though I respect his reasons and I respect him as a person.  Hopefully we will chill again one day.  It never ceases to amaze me how different people's paths of life intertwine with one another.   
2.  My cluster mates got me a cake for my birthday!  They rock! no doubt.  First birthday in Ukraine!  Here's to two more!
3.  Had my first haircut in Ukraine.  I am happy to report that I am still mullet free!
4.  Played more soccer in our little village.  This time we had a few more kids and some adults join us.  Good times.  Hopefully next week we will have even more. 
5.  I went to the graduation ceremony at the local school.  Interesting.  After all the high school kids graduated, they all got together outside the school and danced tell the sun came up. 
6.  The weather here is awesome and starting to get pretty hot.  I love summer. 
7.  People know me in town.  It is crazy.  I wish I was better at putting names to faces. 
Soccer
My B-Day w/ cluster
 Yes...a flower.  What?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Conman,
    Sorry we missed you on Skype this morning! How was your birthday? We thought about you on Friday and hoped you were having a good day! Twin week: International Edition!:) Nice blog...it's always good to hear what you've been up to. Rainy and blah here. Nate signed up for the Ridge Run again this year, so he and Sunny will be in training mode. I'm at 31 weeks, so the countdown is on. Think we have a name though.;)
    Love you!
    E, L, N, and the Sun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Conor, So sorry to hear a friend is leaving. I hope things work out for him. It does sound like you're entering another stressful time, with everything being new. This too will pass (as someone once said) and things will be familiar again. I didn't realize you go to your new site right after being told where you're going. We'll be anxious to hear from you. I didn't notice your haircut on skype this morning so they must have done basically the same. Looking good (as always)! YM

    ReplyDelete