Sunday, May 23, 2010

Keep it real.

Whoohoo!  Hello again!
    We are now done with the majority of our project!  We conducted a healthy lifestyles seminar for the teachers and students in our little village and and for a few people from a youth organization in Chernigiv.  We had over 50 people show up and it went off perfectly.  I covered the dangers of drugs and alcohol complete with a skit on how to say no to peer pressure.  Pretty funny - I had a hat on all crooked, sunglasses, and an oversized smoke for the "drug".  The kids got a kick out of it and I think they learned a thing or two.  John covered some of the facts and statistics specific to Ukraine which were downright startling.  Drugs and alcohol are definitely a big problem in Ukraine.  Now for the second part of out project we are going to put together some English learning resources for the local school, Chernigiv library, and a Chernigiv youth organization.  This will include a manual on English materials development that I am working on now.  There are tons of free resources out there now if you know were to look so I am compiling these resources into a usable format. 
    We also had our site placement interviews with a few of the PC staff.  Friday was definitely a big day.  I am very curious as to where I will be working and living for the next 2 years.  Since I am learning Russian and not Ukrainian chances are that I will be far east near Russia though you never know.  I met a current volunteer that learned Russian in training and now lives near the boarder of Hungary.  Whatever - It is out of my control - I just hope I have an awesome counterpart/organization to work with.  Cross your fingers for me and we will find out in a few weeks. 
    With the hard part of out project over with, we decided to get together with some fellow volunteers and have a relaxing English speaking evening.  The other volunteers are good people - most of us quit good jobs, sold houses, said goodbye to loved ones, etc..etc.. to be able to do this - it takes a special type of person.  I find myself constantly intrigued and honored to be around such a genuinely awesome group of people.  We sat & talked at a little café/pizza place with a covered patio near the center of Chernigiv and had a great time.  We then got up early yesterday (Sat) and went to Kiev for the day.  Kiev is huge and very interesting.  I think we have the transportation down now.  We went to the Chernobyl museum, walked around the city, and observed everything over some ice cream in Independence square.  Nice day.  Today we played soccer at the local school with some school kids.  It was nice to get some exercise and not have to worry about our project or anything else for that matter.  Now I am at a little Café in Chernigiv drinkin an amazing cup of coffee.  Life is good.   [Break for skype]  I just finished chatting with my sister and parents on skype so now I have to update the blog with 5% battery remaining.  lol  I hope I make it.  Things are going great and in 3 weeks we will all move to Kiev for a few days for the swearing in ceremony then it is off with our new counterparts (business partner/coworker)   to our new sites (wherever that may be) for the next 2 years.  Wow,  I could use some luck right now.  I hope everything is going great back in the good ole USA!
Conor's Noteworthy Noteables:
1.  Successfully finishing my first project in Ukraine!  Whoohoo!
2.  Meeting more current volunteers - awesome people - makes me excited to start working solo. 
3.  Had an onion salad for breakfast 3 days ago.  Bowl full of onions and mayo - mmmmmmmm.  Lucky for me I love onions.  Though my breath in language class may have been a bit rough for my clustermates.  lol  I told them later and they all agreed to smelling something during class.  hahaha  what can I say?  I ate a bowl full of onions?  What?
4.  Skyped with my sister, nephew, and step bro.  Awesome.  We will have to do it again. 
5.  After our project we went out for a night on the town with fellow volunteers.  Fun evening full of good conversation and awesome pizza. 
6.  Played soccer with some kids from the local school.  Fun time.  I have not played soccer for years. 
7.  Walked around Kiev and relaxed in the Independence Square.  Good times.  People watching is especially interesting here. 
8.  A friend had a birthday so we all went out for pastries.  good stuff
9.  Had a chicken sandwich in Kiev.  Beautiful.  A tear ran down my cheek.
10.  Gave a presentation to a large group of people about drugs and alcohol in Ukraine.  People seemed involved in the presentation and I think they all learned a thing or two.  Mission accomplished.  Now on to part two.

***Like always, click on the photo to see the large version***
Soccer at the local school in our village
The crew after the seminar (good job team!)
Cluster at the office
Me, Amy, and Cassie in Kiev
 Independence Square

4 comments:

  1. Yo C-man,
    Thanks for the great update. Didn't realize eating a chicken sandwich could be such an emotional experience. Maybe eating an onion salad for breakfast had something to do with it. Not surprised that your presentation went well.....sounds like you have a great cluster.

    How about some pics of you in your presentation garb??? Would love to see your skit pictures.

    Hope you have a more delicious diet this coming week.
    Love,
    GHT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice talking to you on Sunday. Glad you got to talk to Erin and fam too. You write a good blog. YM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday ConMan!! The big 2-6!! Do you think your HM will be making you a big chocolate cake?? I am thoroughly enjoying your blog! One of my favorite things to do in the world is walk around a new city also! I just love exploring new places! You are having some funny experiences...onions for breakfast?? And it's so funny to hear about another cultures beliefs...a woman sitting on a cold surface?!? Who knew?? Glad you found a place to get a burrito and a slice of pizza. Jorge and I had a tough time surviving in S. Africa without mexican food although I'm guessing your burrito wasn't prepared by a mexican! I'm so glad you are having a fabulous time. I wonder if time will fly by as quickly in the winter?? wink, wink. I'm anxious to hear where you will be going for the next two years although I've just now figured out how to say the name of the place you are now! Love you ConMan! Keep up the great work! What a wonderful job.....helping someone in need and seeing a new country all at the same time! Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Conor. Sorry I am a day late. Always love hearin' from ya. Talk soon Dinger.

    Love,
    Pearly

    ReplyDelete