Sunday, October 3, 2010

Just an everyday thing.

Hello everyone,
Well, this week was more low-key than normal which has been nice.  Now that I have submitted the first draft of our project, some of the pressure is off.  I still have a lot to do in order make this a successful project but at least the overall project plan is more or less complete.  Now we are concentrating on getting all the lesson plans organized and finishing up as much paperwork as possible before I go on my 10 day camping trip.  It has been interesting trying to work together with my Ukrainian counterparts.  The culture is just so different.  I feel obsessive compulsive for always trying to organize everything.  How do things get done without a clear-cut plan with specific details and due dates?  I guess we will find out.  lol   I am constantly trying to keep the "American" in me from getting out.  I need to learn to do things how Ukrainians do things because after all, I live in Ukraine now.  I have also been warned by some of the PCVs that have been here for over a year and from PC staff that if you try and do things like you would in the US, you will probably fail.  So, this is me going with the flow with faith that things will get done eventually ...gulp...

I have also been teaching a couple different English clubs in my community.  It has been a lot of fun.  My adult class now knows most basic greetings and some basic words so next week we will start to put things together into sentences and attempt to have some simple dialog.  It is fun to see everyone learn and attempt to speak.  I have over 20 people in my adult class varying in age from 13 - 55 and 7 kids in my young class with ages ranging from 5 -10 years.  I think I do a pretty good job of keeping everyone entertained and learning though it really helps to have a Ukrainian friend there with me to help when people don't understand my Russian.  This friend has been great and I really appreciate the help.  I have also been going to Karate 2 or 3 times per week.  It is fun, I get some exercise, practice my Russian, and I have made a few friends.  I try to accept all invitations to do anything at this point in order to meet as many people as possible. 

Other than work, I have been doing a lot of thinking about life, relationships, and the decisions we make.  You never know which decisions you will look back on many years down the road and think - That decision shaped my future.  Because of that decision, I am now doing this or I became that or whatever.  Obviously, joining the PC was one of those decisions and it was obvious from the beginning that it would be one of the important "forks in the road" of my life but there are many decisions that seem insignificant at the time that end up becoming a defining moment in one's life.  I guess I have been thinking about this because of all the different roads my old friends have taken in their lives, my bro thinking about getting married, my sister giving birth to a beautiful baby girl that I have yet to meet, and me a million miles away from everything in a small city close to Russia.  Who knows how everything is going to play out in the long run.  Life is an adventure, the least we can do is enjoy the ride. 

Conor's Noteworthy Noteables:
1.  It is starting to get cold here.  As I type this, I have my winter coat on and a couple blankets  lol.  The weird thing is that when I lived in Wyoming, it was probably colder.  The difference is that in Wyoming and other cold places in the US, you are usually only cold in transit and once you are inside you are relatively warm.  Here, there is no escape.  It is usually just about as cold inside as it is outside. 
2.  I need a new bed.  My back hurts.  Why do I feel like I sleep in a tiny crib instead of a bed....oh yeah...Peace Corps...right, I signed up for this. 
3.  I can now comfortable speak to most people about basic things.  It is hard to gage how much Russian I am learning at this point - I kinda have to have faith that I am learning through being surrounded by Russian 24-7
4.  I need faster internet.  I can only skype from a bar in town because it is the only place in town with free WIFI. 
5.  I finally feel like I am somewhat in a routine (as much as possible in Ukraine).  Only took 6 months.  lol  I still don't know what the day will bring until it is already here but now not knowing is expected.  : -)
6.  I have not been taking very many photos lately but will try and change that by next post.  At the very least, I will have tons of photos to post after the camping trip. 


Donetsk

Found someone my height!

Gas Mask Con

Khartsizsk Day

Blast from the Past.  Guatemala 2006

Ukrainian Countryside

4 comments:

  1. C-man,
    Another fab post. I particularly like your observations on decision points in life, and focusing on the "journey." Great pics. Who was that clean-shaven dude in Guatemala???

    I think of you often, and miss you.
    Love,

    ReplyDelete
  2. C-man,
    You have come a long way in 6 short (and seemingly quick) months. Imagine 6 months from now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures. Gas Mask Con could be your Halloween costume. :) Is the guy who is as tall as you in the group you're going camping with? Make sure you take enough warm clothes. It sounds like it is going to be a COLD winter if it is already cold in early October. Glad you had a little down time to relax. That may be about the first in six months? Right? More later.
    YM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello ConMan! Wow, must be nice to actually have met someone your height that you can look "eye to eye" with! You're looking a little scary in the gas mask. After reading several of your postings, I've decided you should consider becoming a writer in some capacity. Maybe you can work for a travel magazine and write about your experiences since you like traveling and do a fabulous job at describing what you are experiencing. Spend a little time contemplating that one! Now, a few words of wisdom from your wise old Aunt....the most important decision you will make in your life is who you choose to be your spouse. It will affect every aspect of your life...your children and how they turn out, how happy you are in life, your finances, your travel decisions and even your health (depending on whether they like to exercise or not). Trust me conman, it affects everything! Other than that decision, everything else will work out. I wish you were here so we could chat. I just love introspective conversations and especially pondering life! Keep up the good work! Love you!

    ReplyDelete