Monday, September 27, 2010

Grants, humor clubs, and camping trips.

Hello Everyone,
Well, not too much to report this time because I just posted on Wednesday.  Since I last posted, I have completed the first draft of a SPA grant (Small Projects Assistance).  If the grant gets approved, we will be starting a volunteer center in our city.  Pretty exciting stuff.  I have been working a ton trying to get all the details organized and everything written up.  Wish us luck.  Other than that, I was in both newspapers this week from the interview last week.  Pretty cool stuff.  People have come up to me in the street to say, "Hello" in English to which I reply, "Hello, how are you?" - most of the time I get a blank stare in response but it is still cool to be greeted like that.  I am still waiting to get a copy of the TV interview - I will post it when I get a copy.  That will be pretty cool.  On Friday, I went to a KBH competition.  This is a humor competition where teams from neighboring towns and cities come to compete.  It was a lot of fun though I did not understand many of the jokes.  Good atmosphere and lots of laughs.  Maybe next year I will understand more of the jokes.  After KBH, a group of 12 of us went to a restaurant for the evening.  It was a lot of fun.  We had some traditional drinks then I took a taxi home around midnight.  My organization is great - full of good people that want to help however they can. 
As I mentioned in earlier posts, I will be going on a 10 day backpacking/camping trip in the Crimea peninsula with an organization in town from Oct 10 - 20.  It is going to be awesome.  We will pack all the food we are going to eat for ten days in our backpacks.  We will hike all day every day in the mountains.  I can't wait.  And at the end of the trip, we will spend 2 days on the beach before taking the long train ride back to our city.  Well everyone, not much more to report.  I hope everything is going great back in the US.  Until next week. 
Conor's Noteworthy Noteables:
1.  First SPA draft submitted!
2.  Getting ready for the camping trip.  Lots of little purchases. 
3.  I have been attending a Karate group 3 times a week at the local school.  Good times - it is nice to have a good workout. 
4.  I now have another Club.  That makes 2 on Wed and now 1 on Sat.  The new one will be for intermediate speaks so that should be fun.
5.  It was Nate "old man" McBride's birthday on the 24th.  Happy birthday!  The McBrides are Awesome! 
6.  Found a place that sells frozen chicken nuggets.  I never thought I would be so excited about something so simple but after eating eggs every day for months, it is nice to have some variety.  lol

*Click to view large version*

KBH (Humor Competition)

Birthday Party
Newspaper Article 1 
Newspaper Article 2

4 comments:

  1. Seems like you're having a great time! I'm reading the articles right now and they seem very interesting.... I can't wait until you load the video :D ! Maybe I read the interview incorrectly (the one by Anna Grecheva), but you have visited around 30 countries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Conor, written up in two newspapers. That is so neat. And to have people say hello is neat too! Sounds like you have gotten through the adjustment stage and into the settling down stage. I hope you have fun in the Crimea Peninsula. Love, YM

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME!!!! Hope your grant gets approved. Looking forward to seeing the TV video when available. The camping trip should be mucho fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ConMan! You're a celebrity! That's awesome! Hope you're enjoying your camping trip. Every wednesday at school is "chicken nugget Wednesday" and it's the kids' favorite meal! You're experiences shopping for food sound like what mom went through in Algeria. I don't think I could survive if cooking was anymore difficult than it is now! Potato soup might be easy for you to cook unless you're like Jorge and gotta have meat with every meal. Bali and I are taking Taekwondo so don't think you'll be able to chest butt me again! Bali and I will take you down! Love you!

    ReplyDelete