Monday, January 24, 2011

Ice Swimming

Hello everyone,

Things are going good here in Ukraine.  I have been working on my project, studying Russian, and spending time with my Ukrainian friends.  It has been difficult because I want to work, organize, and plan everything before our project starts but nobody else seems to think this is necessary.  My counterparts seem to think I am crazy for wanting to do things ahead of time and then they are always surprised when we have to struggle at the last min to get everything ready in time.  Sigh.  I have to admit that things do seem to get done somehow.  I am not sure how exactly but the rabbit always seems to be pulled out of the hat just when I am starting give up hope.  It is also frustrating because I cannot write the presentations due to the language barrier.  My Russian has gotten better over the last 9 months but I am not at the point yet where I can write presentations.  Other than the Volunteer Center, I have started a website for the organization that I am working with in order to increase the professionalism of the organization, list a schedule of upcoming trainings/events, and to organize a list of all clubs, groups, & extra-curricular activities available in Khartsizsk.  (http://www.activekhartsizsk.com/)   It is a work in progress but I enjoy that sort of stuff so I don't mind putting in the time.  My friends find it hilarious when I write in Russian because some of my small mistakes completely change the meaning of the sentence.  Lucky for me, my good friend Igor will help me with the Russian on the website so it doesn't sound like a 6 year old wrote the thing. lol


Other than work, I have been spending trying to become familiar with all the classic authors.  I recently finished "Crime and Punishment" written by Dostoyevsky which was very thought provoking and gave some insights into life in the old USSR.  It was a good book but a bit too serious for my liking.   Since then, I have read a few light-hearted books but I have decided to read all the classics while I am here and since the sun sets at 4:00 pm, I have time to read.  The next will probably be Mark Twain's "A Double Barrelled Detective".  I love reading on my Kindle – easy to read, cheap books, and very compact. 


I had an interesting day which is worth mentioning.  The day started like they normally do with me waking up and drinking the biggest cup of coffee possible while either reading a book, checking email, or studying Russian before heading out in the cold to my office in the center of town.  While I was drinking my coffee, my counterpart called me and said something in Russian about swimming in the frozen river and to meet him at the bus station.   I thought to myself, "Did I hear that correctly?  Maybe I misunderstood him.  Swimming?  now?.... whatever, I will grab my swimming suit and camera just in case he said what I thought he said."  Turns out that day was a special Ukrainian holiday and bank of the river was full of people watching some a few freezing individuals jump in the river.  My sister commented later that the holiday should be called "National freeze your ass off day" which couldn't be more appropriate and since I never did learn the name of the holiday, I will refer to it as such.  Anywho, back to the frozen river.  I found myself staring at a 15 foot long cross that was cut into the river, tons of Ukrainians watching the cross, and of course plenty of vodka to warm people up after a plunge into the frozen river.  I was thinking that there was no way in hell I am leaving today with jumping into the river.  It just seems like such a unique experience that there was no way I would pass up the opportunity to partake in "Freeze your ass off day".   So, right there on the side of the river I started taking off all my clothes and prepared myself for the crazy shock that my body would not doubt experience in the near future.  It really was an interesting experience – my body did not know if it was hot, cold, burning, or what the hell was going on.  The water felt so cold that it actually seemed hot to the touch.  I got in the water and dunked myself a couple times and was instantly cured of all sleepiness and apathy.  This is definitely another memory that has been burned into my soul forever.  As I started walking back out of the river, some of the Ukrainians started yelling something to me that I did not understand at first.  Apparently there is a special way that you have to freeze your ass off on "National Freeze your ass off day".  I guess I only dunked my head under the ice twice and on National Freeze your ass off day – you must dunk your head under the ice no less than three times    lol  so I had to turn around and go under the ice one more time.  When I finally got out of the river, I dried off and put back on my clothes as quickly as I could and made my way to the library for my English Club like nothing happened.  It was an interesting day. 


I hope all is well back in the US.  Today I take an overnight train to Kiev then a bus to Chernigiv for extensive Russian Language lessons.  I will be gone for a week.   See you when I get back – stay
classy USA.



Conor's Noteworthy Noteables:
1.  Obviously Ice Swimming.  Awesome – it wakes up your soul. 
2.  Had a nice long conversation with my big sister.  Always nice. 
3.  Finally bought a huge blanked to keep me warm during those long Ukrainian nights.
4.  Got a care package from my sister.  Awesome!  Thank you so much. 
5.  Went out last night with some of my Ukrainian friends for a drink or two at a local restaurant.  Very fun evening. 





*Click on the photo to see the large version*




3 comments:

  1. Conman, I don't even know what to say about that one, other than "are you crazy"???? Since you dunked yourself three times in a "cross", I think that you probably just got baptized! Do you know what religiion you are now?? I'll be mailing your package today or tomorrow. Your mexican meal will soon be in route!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I wouldn't put this body in ice cold water even in the summer time!! That sounds horrible! I can't believe you're just now buying a large blanket to keep warm. You are your father's son! :) YM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you didn't miss the opportunity to participate in National Freeze Your Ass Off Day (NFYAOD). Sound like definite "shrinkage" time. Love reading your blogs. Very well done, dude.

    ReplyDelete